Car accidents are one of the most common causes of injuries in the United States. According to the Federal Highway Administration, 42,915 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2021, a 10.5 percent increase from the 38,824 fatalities in 2020. While car accidents occur at all times of the year, there is often an increase during the summer. Our Arizona car accident attorneys break down why accidents increase during the summer.
Why Car Accidents Increase During the Summer
Some of the most common reasons why car accidents increase during the summer include but are not limited to:
1. More people are on the road. With the kids out of school and families taking vacations or road trips, there are simply more cars on the road in the summer. This increases the chances of being in an accident.
2. The weather is hotter. This can lead to problems like dehydration, which can cause driver error. Additionally, the heat can cause tire blowouts and other mechanical issues that can lead to accidents.
3. There are more teenage drivers on the road. Many teenagers get their driver’s licenses during the summer, which increases the number of inexperienced drivers on the road.
4. More people are driving under the influence. Alcohol consumption tends to increase during the summer months, which means that there are more drunk drivers on the road.
5. Drivers are in a hurry. With so many people out during the summer, many drivers are in a hurry to get to their destination. This can lead to aggressive driving and speeding, which increases the chances of an accident.
6. Road construction increases. With the nicer weather, more road construction occurs in the summer. This can lead to accidents if drivers are not careful or do not slow down in construction zones.
7. Distractions are more common. With so many people out and about in the summer, drivers have more distractions. This could be anything from pedestrians to other cars on the road. It is important to be aware of your surroundings and avoid distractions while driving.
If you have been involved in a car accident, contact our Arizona car accident attorneys at (602) 842-6762 today to schedule a consultation. We can help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries.