Phoenix Assault Defense Attorney
Get Started on Your Defense with a Free Consultation
Assault charges can arise from many different situations, from bar fights to domestic violence. Regardless of how it started, however, one thing is true: the consequences can be serious. It takes a seasoned criminal defense lawyer with in-depth legal knowledge to protect your interests throughout every step of the criminal process. Richard Suzuki is that lawyer. With experience at the local, state, and federal levels, Attorney Suzuki knows how to fight an assault conviction.
If you or someone you love was arrested for assault, now is the time to contact a Phoenix criminal defense attorney at Suzuki Law Offices. We are available 24/7, so please don’t wait to schedule your free case evaluation.
Penalties for Simple Misdemeanor Assault in Arizona
In Arizona, simple assault is a misdemeanor offense that occurs when one person uses threats or physical force to put another person in fear of suffering injury or bodily harm. According to Arizona Revised Statutes (ARS § 13-1203), simple assault charges could be categorized as a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 3 misdemeanor.
The penalties for simple assault in Arizona are as follows:
- Class 3 misdemeanor assault: Simple assault is classified as a Class 3 misdemeanor if the alleged offender touched another person with intent to provoke or injure them. A conviction could result in up to 30 days in jail and $500 in fines.
- Class 2 misdemeanor assault: Simple assault could be classified as a Class 2 misdemeanor if the alleged offender threatened to injure or harm another person. A conviction could result in up to four months in jail and $750 in fines.
- Class 1 misdemeanor assault: Simple assault could be classified as a Class 1 misdemeanor if the assault resulted in actual physical injuries to another person. A conviction could result in up to six months in jail and $2,500 in fines.
In Arizona, the victim does not need to be physically injured in order for assault charges to arise. Charges can still proceed if the victim feared physical injury or if he/she was touched with the intent to cause injury.
What is Aggravated Assault?
Aggravated assault is a felony offense that is punished more severely than simple assault, including up to 15 years in prison. Although circumstances vary from case to case, there are certain aggravating factors that can elevate an assault charge to aggravated assault.
Factors that could elevate your charge to aggravated assault include:
- Causing severe physical injury
- Using a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument
- Restraining a person
- If the victim was younger than 15 years old
- Entering a person’s home to commit assault
- If the victim was police officer
There are escalating prison terms for each level of violence. Even just threatening someone with a dangerous weapon - but not hurting the person - can result in aggravated assault with a mandatory prison sentence.
Ready to Get Started? Contact Us 24/7 for the Help You Need.
Depending on the violent crime charge and the facts of your case, your potential sentence and the consequences you face could vary greatly. The courts address each situation differently, looking at your prior criminal record and what the alleged victim has to say. Charges could range from the simple threat of violence to inflicting bodily harm on someone.
At Suzuki Law Offices, we do everything in our power to reduce the consequences of an assault charge. Our Phoenix criminal defense lawyers work with you to ensure your rights and freedom are protected throughout the process.
Our team has in-house Private Investigators that are retired from law enforcement
We are aggressive and honest in our pursuit to uphold your rights
We are a devoted and highly rated team of professional advocates
We will review your case for FREE in an initial consultation
Our firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients
Our defense lawyers are fluent in both English and Spanish
Our attorneys have worked on the other side of the courtroom
Our team is available to take your call 24/7 – day or night