Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious offense in Arizona, and the state has some of the strictest DUI laws in the country. Arizona’s tough stance on DUI is reflected in the number of arrests made yearly. According to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety (GOHS), there were 27,125 DUI arrests in Arizona in 2020.
DUI Statistics in Arizona
The number of DUI arrests in Arizona has declined over the past few years. In 2018, there were 33,827 DUI arrests, and in 2019, there were 27,104 arrests. The decrease in DUI arrests could be due to increased awareness and education about the dangers of drunk driving and increased enforcement efforts by law enforcement agencies.
Of the 27,125 DUI arrests made in Arizona in 2020, approximately 79 percent were for first-time offenses. The remaining 21 percent were repeat offenders, which shows that Arizona’s DUI laws effectively prevent repeat offenses.
In a report from the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, officials reported that there were 2,114 traffic stops that resulted in DUI arrests, 257 for aggravated DUI, 1,479 for misdemeanor DUI, and 378 for extreme DUI.
Committed to providing exceptional legal service to each and every client through integrity, compassion and experience.Get Started
Do All DUI Arrests Lead to Convictions?
DUI arrests don’t necessarily lead to convictions. Some DUI cases are dismissed due to lack of evidence, and others may be reduced to lesser offenses. In 2020, there were 20,283 DUI convictions in Arizona, meaning only 75 percent of the DUI arrests resulted in a conviction.
The consequences of a DUI conviction in Arizona can be severe. First-time offenders can face fines, jail time, a suspended driver’s license, and required alcohol education or treatment. Repeat offenders can face even harsher penalties, including longer jail sentences, higher fines, and mandatory ignition interlock devices on their vehicles.
It’s also worth noting that DUI laws in Arizona apply not only to alcohol but also to drugs, including prescription drugs and marijuana. In fact, in 2020, Arizona had 7,306 drug-related DUI arrests.
Contact a Suzuki Law Offices
DUI arrests in Arizona have been declining in recent years, but DUI remains a serious offense with significant consequences. If you’ve been arrested for DUI in Arizona, it’s important to seek the advice of an experienced DUI attorney who can help you understand your legal options and defend your rights. Our team at Suzuki Law Offices is prepared to fight aggressively on your behalf.
Contact us at (602) 842-6762 to learn how we can help you with aggressive legal advocacy.