Facing a Healthcare Fraud Investigation or Federal Criminal Charges?
If you own a medical practice, rehab, or health care business and have been notified of a regulatory enforcement action – you need to act now.
Healthcare audits, investigations, and enforcement actions put serious penalties and prison time on the table. And when regulators or law enforcement come knocking on your door, it’s likely that they’ve already devoted ample time to investigating your case.
At Suzuki Law Offices, we know the tactics the government takes when investigating fraud and abuse in the federal health care system – and we have the tools to help clients react appropriately.
Don’t Delay. Call Now for a FREE Consultation:
Suzuki Law Offices is an award-winning criminal defense practice with extensive experience handling complex federal charges and investigations, including those related to Medicare and Medicaid fraud.
If you’ve been notified of a pending investigation – whether it be a civil regulatory inquiry into potential fraud and abuse violations or an investigation conducted by federal authorities such as the FBI for serious federal crimes – the time to act is now.
Our healthcare fraud defense attorneys serve providers and businesses across Arizona and are standing by to help. Call (602) 842-6762 or contact us online to request a FREE consultation.
Alert: Federal Authorities Targeting Rehab Centers That Treat Native American Patients
Medicaid Fraud Strike Force Alert: Suzuki Law Offices is representing a growing number of substance abuse and behavioral health facilities that are being targeted by an ongoing investigation into healthcare fraud related to the treatment of Native American patients.
As reported by AZ Central, federal authorities are targeting fraudulent rehab, group housing, and behavioral health residential centers accused of targeting Indigenous populations and billing federal healthcare programs such as Medicaid for unnecessary services or services that were never rendered.
Here are some facts about the investigation:
- The investigation is statewide. Federal authorities, including federal health care regulators and the FBI, are investigating hundreds of rehabs and group homes across Arizona for allegedly preying upon vulnerable individuals with substance abuse and mental health issues from the Navajo Nation and other reservations in Arizona, New Mexico, and South Dakota. Authorities claim these facilities locate and transport individuals to their facilities and instruct them to register for Arizona Medicaid benefits administered by the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), as well as other state and federal benefits.
- The investigation is ongoing. Authorities are actively investigating providers and working to build evidence for future indictments. Earlier this year, for example, the FBI published a call for Native American victims recruited to live in and receive services from group homes in Phoenix.
- This is a high-priority enforcement action. Regulators suspect that illegitimate group homes have defrauded the state of hundreds of millions in federal funding – which makes this a high-priority investigation where regulators are likely to take aggressive actions.
- There are serious penalties at stake. Implicated facilities have been accused of billing for unnecessary services, billing for services not rendered, and other violations and crimes that carry large civil penalties and the potential for criminal prosecution and serious prison time.
Given the scope and severity of the alleged crimes, all substance abuse and mental health treatment facilities – including those offering both inpatient and outpatient services – should be on high alert for investigations and communications from federal regulators.
At Suzuki Law Officers, our attorneys are standing by to provide immediate counsel and discuss strategies to intervene in investigations, respond appropriately to prosecutions, and work to limit or avoid what can be life-altering penalties.
If you’ve been charged with Medicaid fraud or other federal healthcare crimes for providing mental health and substance abuse treatment in Phoenix or the state of Arizona, call (602) 842-6762 now to speak with a defense attorney from our team.
Suzuki Law Offices is comprised of nationally recognized defense lawyers, including former prosecutors and a former Assistant U.S. Attorney (Richard Suzuki). We have the experience and resources to help healthcare providers and businesses in a range of fraud-related actions.
Our work in this area includes counsel and defense for:
- Civil and criminal investigations, including OIG, CMS, Arizona Attorney General's Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MCFU), and FBI investigations
- Medicare and Medicaid fraud
- False Claims Act (FCA) and Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) violations
- Double-billing, billing for services not provided, double billing, upcoding, and other regulatory fraud violations
With a large criminal defense practice, our firm is also equipped to handle other related state and federal charges, including: federal drug crimes, white collar crimes, elder fraud and abuse, federal benefits fraud, racketeering (RICO), and human trafficking.
Strategic Counsel for Federal Health Care Fraud Investigations and Criminal Prosecution
The federal government has a vested interest in rooting out waste, fraud, and abuse within federal health care programs, devotes tremendous resources to investigating suspicious claim patterns, and takes aggressive measures to prosecute individuals and businesses for fraud.
In recent years, these actions have produced thousands of criminal indictments for health care fraud crimes amounting to billions of dollars in alleged losses. When the federal government wants to crack down, it does so with incredible force.
For providers and medical businesses in the crosshairs of regulators and federal authorities, this is ample reason to seek counsel capable of taking strategic steps in your defense. This may include:
- Immediate representation to intervene in civil regulatory investigations and manage exposure to penalties and potential criminal referrals.
- Support to communicate appropriately with regulators/authorities and comply with requests for information, document production, and more.
- Exploration of tailored defense strategies when criminal charges have already been filed.
- Negotiations for good faith resolutions, including civil penalties in lieu of criminal charges or reduced criminal penalties.
- Trial, when necessary.
Call Now For a FREE Consultation: (602) 842-6762
If you’re facing federal criminal charges or own a mental health or substance abuse treatment center that bills Medicaid or other federal health programs – the time to protect yourself is now.
Our Arizona Medicaid fraud and healthcare defense lawyers are available to speak with potential clients statewide and offer FREE and confidential consultations. Contact us today to speak with an attorney.
"He answered all my questions free of charge and was very helpful."Linda
"Richard J Suzuki is an outstanding lawyer, extremely professional and responsive. The absolute best experience, my family and I were beyond content with the overall outcome."Rosa
"When I got into trouble with the law I didn’t know where to turn. Mr. O’Sullivan was immediately assigned to my case and I felt a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders."Justine F