When facing allegations as serious as causing someone’s death, it is crucial to have an experienced Phoenix murder and manslaughter defense lawyer mounting the strongest possible defense. At Suzuki Law Offices, we’ve achieved success even in the most challenging of criminal cases.
The stakes are extraordinarily high. You deserve representation matching the prosecution’s resources to fight tirelessly for your interests. As former prosecutors, we are fully aware of how the legal system operates, we will launch an aggressive defense strategy from the outset.
We will evaluate every facet of the evidence and law to identify avenues for reasonable doubt or dismissal. In the courtroom, our violent crimes lawyers in Phoenix are formidable advocates well-equipped for high-pressure trials. In difficult times, our competent legal guidance offers the best hope for justice and peace of mind.
Put a Powerhouse Attorney on Your Side
When your freedom and entire future are at stake, you need a powerhouse Phoenix criminal defense attorney leading your case. Prosecutors assign their most skilled trial lawyers to homicide cases and hold significant advantages in funding and manpower.
Our founding attorney, Richard J. Suzuki, is the type of battle-tested legal counsel capable of matching the opposition. With experience as both a Maricopa County prosecutor and federal prosecutor, he intimately understands how the legal system operates from every perspective.
This unparalleled insight allows him to strategically dissect the government’s evidence, identify vulnerabilities in their case, and anticipate their tactics. He also knows how to effectively negotiate with prosecutors to explore all options that could reduce charges and penalties.
Committed to providing exceptional legal service to each and every client through integrity, compassion and experience.Get Started
Homicide Charges in Arizona
Homicide is a legal term that refers to the act of one person causing the death of another person. In Arizona, criminal charges will apply in many cases if you caused the death of an unborn child.
It encompasses a wide range of situations where one person’s actions lead to another’s death, and it can be classified into different categories based on the circumstances and intent behind the act.
The two main types of homicide charges include:
Murder is the intentional killing of another person with malice aforethought. Malice aforethought typically means the intent to kill or cause serious bodily harm. Murder charges can be further classified into first-degree murder (premeditated and deliberate) and second-degree murder (intentional but not premeditated).
Manslaughter involves the killing of another person, but it lacks the same level of intent and premeditation found in murder. Manslaughter can be categorized into voluntary manslaughter, which typically involves intentional killing under mitigating circumstances (e.g., the heat of passion), and involuntary manslaughter, which involves unintentional killing due to recklessness, exhibiting extreme indifference for human life, or negligence.
Negligent homicides are unintentional but caused by another person’s recklessness, for example, a DUI car accident that resulted in another person’s death.
If you’re facing charges of homicide, a criminal defense attorney experienced in murder and manslaughter cases is essential. The consequences of a conviction can be severe, including lengthy prison sentences, hefty fines, and damage to your reputation.
At Suzuki Law Offices, we understand the complexities of homicide cases and have a track record of successfully defending clients facing these charges.
Phoenix Murder & Manslaughter Defense Lawyer Near Me 602-682-5270
Penalties for Murder or Manslaughter in Arizona
The penalties for first-degree murder can include the death penalty, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole, or life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after serving 25 years. Penalties for second-degree murder can include a prison term of 10 to 25 years.
Penalties for voluntary manslaughter can include a prison term of 7 to 21 years. Penalties for involuntary manslaughter can include a prison term of 3 to 12.5 years.
It’s important to remember that these penalties can be subject to enhancement or reduction based on various factors, including prior criminal history, the presence of aggravating or mitigating circumstances, and the specifics of the case.
Can You Help Me Appeal a Conviction?
A good murder defense lawyer begins noting possible grounds for appeal from the moment of arrest all the way through the instructions to the jury. We have experience in post-trial motions and appeals to convince a higher court to overturn your conviction or order a new trial.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing us:
- Legal Experience: We have a deep understanding of Arizona’s criminal laws, including those related to homicide. Our skilled homicide attorneys have handled numerous murder and manslaughter cases and are well-versed in the complexities of such cases.
- Investigation and Evidence Gathering: Our team will thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the alleged homicide, gather evidence, interview witnesses, and work diligently to build a strong defense strategy. We aim to uncover any weaknesses in the prosecution’s case.
- Strategic Defense Planning: We develop a tailored defense strategy for each case, taking into account the unique facts and legal aspects involved. Our goal is to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome, whether through negotiations or in court.
- Experience in Negotiations: We have experience negotiating with prosecutors to seek reduced charges or favorable plea deals when appropriate. Our goal is to minimize the potential penalties you may face.
- Courtroom Representation: If your case goes to trial, we provide skilled legal representation. Our attorneys are adept at presenting compelling arguments, cross-examining witnesses, and challenging evidence to defend your innocence in a criminal trial.
- Protecting Your Rights: We ensure that your constitutional rights are upheld throughout the legal process. This includes protecting you from unlawful searches and seizures and ensuring due process is followed.
- Emotional Support: Facing homicide charges is emotionally challenging. We offer support and guidance to help you navigate this difficult time. We are committed to maintaining open communication and addressing your concerns.
- Fighting for Your Future: Our primary objective is to fight for your future and help you achieve the best possible outcome. Whether it’s an acquittal, reduced charges, or a favorable plea agreement, we are dedicated to your defense.
- Extensive Legal Resources: At Suzuki Law Offices, we have access to extensive legal resources, including forensic experts, investigators, and other professionals who can strengthen your defense.
- Client-Centered Approach: We prioritize our clients’ well-being and interests above all else. Your case is our top priority, and we work relentlessly to provide you with a strong defense.
When you hire us as your Phoenix homicide defense attorneys, you are choosing a legal team that is committed to your defense, has a track record of success, and is prepared to fight tirelessly to protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome for your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Potential Defenses for Homicide Charges
Murder and unintentional homicide cases often hinge on the premise of mens rea, the defendant’s state of mind at the time. We put great effort into proving there was (a) no intent to cause death or (b) no knowledge that actions would lead to death.
We explore every possible defense for your murder charge, including:
- Defense of a third party
- Other reasonable explanations for the death
Our lawyers, our investigators, and support staff examine every piece of evidence – forensic evidence, witness statements, incident reports – and look at the actions of law enforcement in their investigation, arrest, and execution of search warrants.
When a jury has an all-or-nothing choice on a murder charge, that’s a big gamble. We often argue for lesser included offenses at trial so that a sympathetic jury has the option to convict on a lower-level crime.
It may still spell a prison sentence for you, but it’s much better to serve 5 years for manslaughter than 20 years to life for a murder conviction. The backing of an experienced criminal law firm can give you the best chance at reducing heavy penalties.
Contact a Murder and Manslaughter Criminal Defense Law Firm in Phoenix Now
Suzuki Law Offices has successfully defended clients against murder and manslaughter charges. Such an outcome is not possible in every case, but with the high stakes of years or a lifetime behind bars, you want a murder defense attorney who gives you the best fighting chance of a favorable outcome.
If you or a family member is facing a charge of murder in Maricopa County, Pima County, Pinal County, or anywhere in Arizona, contact us immediately so we can explain your legal options and begin building your defense.
Our lawyers are the kind of formidable advocates essential to level the playing field and fight resolutely for the best possible outcome in even the most serious of criminal matters. When so much hangs in the balance, trust Suzuki Law Offices to lead your defense. Contact us today.