Phoenix Burglary Defense Attorney
Convictions Can Result in a Prison Sentence
We're not trying to scare you into picking up the phone and calling us. If you were arrested and charged with burglary, you already know what you're facing - a stretch in prison. You may or may not be afraid of that. But you won't call us for something you already know. You might call us, though, because it's our job as criminal defense lawyers to erase or minimize this stretch in prison. And it's hard to put a price on that.
A conviction for burglary can result in the following:
- Permanent criminal record
- Heavy fines
- Prison sentence
- Forfeiture of the stolen property back to the victim
What you might not know is if there have been other burglaries in the area, prosecutors and cops could try to connect you to those as well. That could mean multiple burglary charges and a longer sentence in prison than you thought. And if you had a gun or other weapon on you, the prison sentence gets worse - around 20 years or so worse, depending on the situation.
At Suzuki Law Offices, our Phoenix criminal lawyers defend people against burglary charges and all other types of theft crimes. Eyewitness testimony and security cameras can be unreliable, so we work with private investigators and forensic experts to challenge the evidence. Our goal is to do our best to get the charges dismissed, get you an acquittal, or arrange a favorable plea bargain.
Types of Burglaries and Their Penalties
In Arizona, there are three different degrees of burglary carrying different kinds of penalties.
In general, burglary falls under one of the following categories:
- First degree burglary A.R.S. 13-1508: Unlawfully entering a home, business, or property while in possession of a weapon or explosive device with the intent to steal. For non-residential property, this is a class 3 with a mandatory term of 5 to 15 years in prison. For residential property, this is a class 2 felony with a mandatory term of 7 to 21 years in prison.
- Second degree burglary A.R.S. 13-1507: Illegally entering or remaining in a residential building in order to commit a theft or felony. This is a class 3 felony and may receive a term of 2.5 to 7 years in prison.
- Third degree burglary A.R.S. 13-1506: Entering a non-residential building, fenced property, or automobile in order to steal or commit a felony. This is a class 4 felony and may receive a term of 1.5 to 3 years in prison.
Possession of Burglary Tools
Even if you did not commit the actual crime of burglary, you can still be charged with possession of burglary tools if you have in your possession instruments that show you had intent to commit burglary.
Some examples of burglary tools can include:
- Master keys that can gain entry into a vehicle or property to steal
- Lock picks
- Heavy duty tools that can burn through steel or concrete
- Ropes to climb over walls
- Masks and gloves to conceal identity
Regardless of what type of burglary charges you are facing, have an experienced burglary defense attorney evaluate your case. Our team at Suzuki Law Offices understands what it takes to fight these charges and aim for a reduced sentence or a complete dismissal of these charges.
Burglary is a serious charge. If you've been arrested for burglary, contact our firm today.
Richard J. Suzuki View Profile
Amy M. Leonard View Profile
Dennis O'Berry View Profile
Colin O'Sullivan View Profile
Todd Romero View Profile
Joshua Kolsrud View Profile
Eleni Perdikakis View Profile
Sandra Lemon View Profile
Christian Lueders View Profile
Curtis Fischer Jr. View Profile
Douglas Taylor View Profile
Marc Adair View Profile
Our team has in-house Private Investigators that are retired from law enforcement
We are aggressive and honest in our pursuit to uphold your rights
We are a devoted and highly rated team of professional advocates
We will review your case for FREE in an initial consultation
Our firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients
Our defense lawyers are fluent in both English and Spanish
Our attorneys have worked on the other side of the courtroom
Our team is available to take your call 24/7 – day or night