Legally speaking, the crime of “grand theft” does not exist in Arizona. Rather, a person who has stolen something of great value such as a car will be charged with “theft of means of transportation” or “unlawful use of a vehicle.” Both of these crimes are felonies, and if you are convicted, you could go to prison. Your charges could be enhanced if a weapon was used in the commission of the theft.
At Suzuki Law Offices, our criminal defense lawyers in Phoenix vigorously defend the rights and freedom of people accused of car theft, burglary, and other theft charges. Our lawyers work hard to obtain the best possible outcome in every case we handle.
ARS 13-1814: Theft of Means of Transportation is when a person, without lawful authority, does one of the following: the person knowingly does control another person’s means of transportation with the intent to permanently deprive the owner, or comes into control of another person’s care that is lost or misdelivered, or controls another person’s means of transportation knowing or having reason to know that the vehicle is stolen. In Arizona, this is a class 3 felony.
Committed to providing exceptional legal service to each and every client through integrity, compassion and experience.Get Started
Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyers You Can Trust
When defending you, we will thoroughly review the events leading to your arrest, and explore all possible defenses.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, potential defenses include the following:
- You had permission from the owner to take the vehicle or item.
- You had no knowledge that the vehicle or item was stolen when it came into your possession.
- There was no reason for you to believe that the vehicle or item was stolen.
- Law enforcement simply apprehended the wrong person.
- If you are charged with possession of burglary tools, you had a legitimate reason for possessing a “jiggle key” or items law enforcement claim are burglary tools.
If we can show that the evidence does not support the charge, the judge could dismiss the case against you. Alternatively, we may be able to get the charges reduced. Your future is important to us. Suzuki Law Offices will aggressively defend you.